Saturday, February 21, 2015

'make' or 'do' ?



 

do

You do an exam. But there are no easy rules to follow. We always use do to describe indefinite activities, often with what, thing, anything, nothing, etc and generally speaking we also use do to talk about duties, jobs or (leisure) activities. Look at the following examples:

  • 'What shall we do now?' 'You can do what you like. I'm going home!'
  • 'He didn't do anything. He just sat there.'
  • 'You expect me to do everything around the house. Well, I'm fed up!'
  • 'I did all my homework last night so tonight I'm going to do the housework.'
  • 'I did a lot of research and I think I did a good job on that essay. I did my best anyway.'
  • 'I intend to do lots of walking on holiday this year, and perhaps some bird-watching too.

  make

We often use make when we are talking about constructing, creating or performing something. Study the  examples:

  • 'I made three suggestions and left it to him to make the final decision.'
  • 'I've made all the arrangements for the trip and I've made a great effort to get it all right.'
  • 'I'm afraid I'm going to have to make my excuses and leave.'
  • 'I have to make three phone calls.'

CHOOSE THE CORRECT VERB:


1.       MAKE            DO      THE CLEANING AND THE COOKING

2.       MAKE            DO      A LASTING IMPRESSION (ON SOMEONE)   

3.       MAKE            DO      THE SHOPPING AND WASHING UP

4.       MAKE            DO      SOME SERIOUS WORK

5.       MAKE            DO      A LOT OF DAMAGE (TO SOMETHING)

6.       MAKE            DO      AN ANNOUNCEMENT OR SPEECH

7.       MAKE            DO      AN APPLICATION (FOR A DRIVING TEST OR JOB)

8.       MAKE            DO      A SOUND OR NOISE

9.       MAKE            DO      SOMEONE’S HAIR

10.     MAKE            DO      A LOT OF HARM RATHER THAN GOOD

11.     MAKE            DO      BUSINESS WITH SOMEBODY

12      MAKE            DO      SOMEBODY A FAVOR

13.     MAKE            DO      LOVE, NOT WAR

14.     MAKE            DO      A MESS, A PROFIT, A FORTUNE

15.     MAKE            DO      FUN OF SOMEONE OR A FOOL OF SOMEONE

16.     MAKE            DO      AMENDS FOR ONE’S BEHAVIOUR    

 
SCROLL DOWN FOR ANSWERS
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.ANSWER KEY:

do the cleaning and the cooking                             make a lasting impression (on someone)
do the shopping and the washing-up                    do some serious work

do a lot of damage (to something)                         make an announcement
make an application (e.g. for a driving test)          make a sound or a noise
do one's hair or one's teeth                                    do a lot of harm rather than good
do business (with somebody)                               do (somebody) a favour
make love, not war                                               make a mess, a profit or a fortune                      

make fun of someone or a fool of someone         make amends for one's behaviour

No comments:

Post a Comment