Monday, February 9, 2015

Do or make?




Do
can be an auxiliary or a main verb.

Examples:

· Auxiliary verb - Do you live here?

· Main verb - What are you doing now?


As a main verb do means "general activity"

Examples:

· What are you doing this weekend?

· We need to do something about this problem.

· Never do it again!

· What can I do to help you?


Do is also used for talking about work.

Examples:

· What do you do (= What is your job?)

· I have to do my homework.

· He didn't do any work yesterday.


Make can only be a main verb. The meaning is "creating or constructing something".

Examples:

· These toys were made in China.

· I made a card for my Grandma.

· Who made this costume for you?


Compare:

· Sam, you need to make your bed before breakfast. Do it now!


Remember the following expressions with make and do. Note that make is used more often than do.

Make
Do
Make a bed
Do well
Make friends
Do badly
Make a mistake
Do good
Make noise
Do harm
Make money
Do somebody a favor
Make an excuse
Do business
Make an exception
Do homework
Make love
Do an exercise
Make a choice
Do nothing
Make an effort

Make an attempt

Make a change

Make a complaint




Choose the correct word using do or make:

1. Who’s going to _____ that decision?

2. I’ll be back late. I’m going to _____ some shopping.

3. I don’t promise anything but I’ll _____ my best.

4. I need to _____ a complaint, please.

5. I am a teacher. What do you _____?

6. Do not go. _____ an excuse.

7. I can guarantee that it wouldn’t _____ any good.

8. He can _____ his bed without a wrinkle.

9. Did anyone _____ an attempt to call your parents?

10. Why do mosquitoes _____ that irritating little noise?

11. I didn’t _____ any mistakes on my test.

12. I’ll _____ you an offer you can’t refuse.

13.Can you _____ me an favor, please?

14. She had to _____ an effort to remember.

15. We _____ no exceptions.


Choose the correct word, in the correct form of do or make:

16. She grew up in a home where servants _____ the kitchen work.

17. No matter how he wanted to _____ right he always did wrong anyway and all his fine intentions came to squat.

18."Who ___ your hair, sweetie?" Mother asked, knowing the answer.

19. It's a great investment, you'll ___ money on it.

20. Someone ___ the suggestion that we try it out. I said that was fine with me.

21. Finally, he ___ up his mind: New York would be his home.

22. Sean and I always shared responsibilities 50-50. If I cooked, he ___ the dishes.

23.I'm just not in love with you. Does that ___ sense?

24. Let me ___ sure that I understand what you're saying.

25. She was looking for a better job or way to ___ a living.

26. I hope they never ___ away with that crime.

27. First let me ___ clear why it is important to follow this rule.

28.I'm going to ___ a point to see him on Sunday.

29. In the near future, technology will ___ possible new forms of media.

30.It's much easier to ___ war than peace.






































































Answer Key

1. Who’s going to MAKE that decision?

2. I’ll be back late. I’m going to DO some shopping.

3. I don’t promise anything but I’ll DO my best.

4. I need to MAKE a complaint, please.

5. I am a teacher. What do you DO?

6. Do not go. MAKE an excuse.

7. I can guarantee that it wouldn’t DO any good.

8. He can MAKE his bed without a wrinkle.

9. Did anyone MAKE an attempt to call your parents?

10. Why do mosquitoes MAKE that irritating little noise?

11. I didn’t MAKE any mistakes on my test.

12. I’ll MAKE you an offer you can’t refuse.

13.Can you DO me an favor, please?

14. She had to MAKE an effort to remember.

15. We MAKE no exceptions.

16. She grew up in a home where servants DID the kitchen work.

17. No matter how he wanted to DO right he always did wrong anyway and all his fine intentions came to squat.

18."Who DID your hair, sweetie?" Mother asked, knowing the answer.

19. It's a great investment, you'll MAKE money on it.

20. Someone MADE the suggestion that we try it out. I said that was fine with me.

21. Finally, he MADE up his mind: New York would be his home.

22. Sean and I always shared responsibilities 50-50. If I cooked, he DID the dishes.

23.I'm just not in love with you. Does that MAKE sense?

24. Let me MAKE sure that I understand what you're saying.

25. She was looking for a better job or way to MAKE a living.

26. I hope they never MAKE away with that crime.

27. First let me MAKE clear why it is important to follow this rule.

28.I'm going to MAKE a point to see him on Sunday.

29. In the near future, technology will MAKE possible new forms of media.

30.It's much easier to MAKE war than peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment