Thursday, January 27, 2022

Expressions with 'cold'












Get cold feet (not do something because you get nervous): She wanted to sing at the concert but then she got cold feet

 Blow hot and cold (often change your opinion about something): I blow hot and cold about London. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. 

 Give someone the cold shoulder (not be friendly to someone): She gave him the cold shoulder after they broke up. 

 Leave someone cold (not impress someone): I'm afraid that film really left me cold. 

Throw cold water on something (say an idea isn't good): Please don't throw cold water on my idea! Let me try it. 

A cold snap (a short period of cold weather): We're in the middle of a cold snap right now. ​ 

Be cold comfort (not be comforting): She wanted to win first prize, so coming fourth was cold comfort. ​ 

Be knocked out cold (be made unconscious): The boxer was knocked out cold. ​ 

Cold hard cash (money):  Don't give me presents! I want cold hard cash! ​

In cold blood (of a crime, not at the moment of being angry or upset): He killed the man in cold blood. 

​.
.
.
.
.

Let's review! 

What's the missing word or words? ​ 

1. He's looking for cold hard ____________________ for his work, not an exchange. 

2. Everyone seems to like that new restaurant, but it ____________________ me cold. 

3. It's freezing! I wish this cold ____________________ would end.

.
.
.
.
.
.

Answers ​ 
1. He's looking for cold hard cash for his work, not an exchange. 
2. Everyone seems to like that new restaurant, but it leaves me cold. 
3. It's freezing! I wish this cold snap would end. 

credit: perfectenglishgrammar

No comments:

Post a Comment