Friday, August 22, 2014

The preposition phrase

A prepositional phrase is made up of a preposition and an object.
 
We use prepositional phrases for many purposes, for example:
 
- as adverbials of time and place:
We will be back in a few days.
They drove to Glasgow.

- as a postmodifier in a noun phrase:
Helen is the girl in the red dress
We’ve got a new television with a thirty one inch screen.

- to show who did something:
The lion was killed by the hunter
I saw a wonderful painting by Van Gogh

- with double object verbs like give and get:
We gave five pounds to the woman on the corner.
They got a drink for me.

- after certain verbs, nouns and adjectives:
The book belongs to me.
I had an argument with my brother.
I feel sorry for you.
 
The British Council has made us an online practice session. Thank you!
 
To begin:   click
 

No comments:

Post a Comment