Friday, November 22, 2013

5 Minute English: The New Apartment

Vocabulary
bulletcommute- going (usually) from home to work and from work to home everyday
bulletkilling me- very difficult for me
bulletI know what you mean- I understand
bulletwalking distance- very close, you can walk there
bulletnot working out- It's not good for what I need
bulletlandlord- person who owns the building
bulletrepairs- fixing broken things
bulletbreaking down- becoming broken
bulletbudget- how much money you have to use
bulletfurnished- it has furniture included (sofa, bed, etc.)
bulletutilities- electricity, water, gas, etc. You usually have to pay extra for these

To translate:
http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-german/babelfish/



Read the dialogue.

Henry: I am so tired of my commute to work. Driving all those hours is just killing me.

Lance:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to drive two hours to work each way. But now I live within walking distance of my work. It's great.

Henry:
You're kidding. I didn't know that. Did you move?

Lance:
No, I got a new job near my work.

Henry:
Well, I don't think I can change my job, but I am thinking about changing my apartment. The one I have just isn't working out.

Lance:
What's wrong with it?

Henry:
Well, besides being too far from work, I'm having some problems with my landlord. He keeps raising the rent, but he never does any repairs. Everything is breaking down.

Lance:
That's terrible. Listen, I think there is a vacancy in my apartment building. And my landlord is excellent. And I'm sure it would be closer to your work than you are now.

Henry:
Really? But is it expensive? My budget isn't that big.

Lance:
No, it's not that expensive. And it's furnished and the utilities are included.

Henry:
That sounds great. I'd love to see it. When can we go?

Lance:
How about now?

Henry:
Sure. I'll drive. 
 
Answer the questions.


 Click on link   HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment